Ceramic Open Studio Polices
In order to keep the ceramics lab clean and efficient Art House ask that the students, open studio participants and staff adhere to the following policies:
- Only Art House staff and instructors may distribute clay. If you need to purchase additional clay please ask a staff member.
- Please wipe down your wheel, slab roller, table, wedging table, tools and/or the sink after use.
- Do not put back your bats until they have been washed. Unwashed bats lead to mold growth which is a health concern.
- Please break up large pieces of clay before putting it in the recycling buckets. This allows the recycle process to be more efficient.
- Cleaning and finishing of pieces should be done in the leather hard stage. Sanding your piece should be a last resort. If you need to sand do so in the kiln area. You cannot sand pieces in the main classroom area.
- Anyone sanding a piece is required to wear a dust mask. Clay contains silica which is harmful when inhaled.
- Students are not permitted to fire, load or unload the kilns under any circumstance. If you have a piece that requires special attention please leave the instructor a note and he/she will try to accommodate.
- Only Art House instructors and staff may handle student’s work, both finished and unfinished.
- The shelves are lableled in order to designate areas for greenware, glazed pieces and finished work. Please make sure your pieces are in the proper area so that they can be fired.
- Please take home finished work immediately. Shelf space is limited.
- Work left more than 6 weeks after a session becomes the property of Art House. Due to limited space this work will be disposed of.
- Pieces that are improperly glazed and not cleaned will not be fired at the discretion of the instructor. A shelf will be labeled in the back for such pieces. Once they have been fixed please put them back on the “glaze fire” shelves. They will not be fired until properly cleaned and glazed.
Visitor Policies/Age Requirements
- Ceramic Open Studio is an adults only facility. All members must be at least 18 years of age unless Art House Management has given special consent.
- Children are not allowed to work with members in the studio.
- If you bring a guest to Ceramic Open Studio, you are responsible for their behavior and their adherence to the Studio Rules.
- Guests are not permitted to use studio equipment while visiting.
- Ceramic Open Studio discourages bringing in any person under the age of 13 years.
- Visiting children should be supervised by an adult at all times.
- No animals are allowed.
I understand the Ceramic Open Studio Policies and know that if not followed, I may be asked to leave the program at any time.